School Choice Skip to main content

School Choice

Bulloch County Schools’ annual window for public school choice/school transfers (HB 251)  and for special education needs (SB 10) for the 2019-2020 school year was May 1- May 17, 2019.  No further requests will be accepted until May 4 - May 22, 2020, for the 2020-2021 school year.

In accordance with state law (O.C.G.A. § 20-2-2131), parents or guardians, who have a child enrolled in a public school, may make a school choice/school transfer request for their child to possibly be placed in another public school within the school district. Bulloch County Schools annually accepts school choice/transfer requests each May.  

Parent Responsibilities

As a parent or guardian, you can make a school choice/school transfer request to have your child possibly placed in another public school within your school district of residence as long as the school district has determined that there is available classroom space at the requested school after all assigned students have been enrolled.  Please keep in mind that if you choose to transfer your child to another school in the district, the law requires you to assume all costs and responsibilities related to the transportation of your child to and from the school as long as your child remains at that school.


Available Classroom Space

For your convenience, the district’s list of schools with available classroom space for the 2020-2021 school year will be published on this website in April 2020. It will also be advertised in the Statesboro Herald during the annual school choice window. In order to process school choice/school transfer requests, parents or guardians must complete and hand deliver (by the deadline**) a Transfer Request Form (available only during annual school choice/transfer window) to the Bulloch County Board of Education at 150 Williams Road in Statesboro.


Kindergarten Student Transfers

If a child is currently enrolled in Bulloch County Schools' pre-kindergarten program, parents/guardians do not need to register the child for kindergarten unless the child will be attending a different school than where he/she attended pre-k. Once a child is registered for Kindergarten, the school system will not process transfer requests for Kindergarten openings until 10 school days after the first day of school.


High Schools Are Open Zones

Bulloch County Schools’ three high schools are open-zoned, so any school choice/school transfer requests for these schools are permissible during the annual window. Enrollment into certain courses (Pre-Advance Placement, Advance Placement, etc.) may not be accommodated due to the number of students already enrolled in those courses. If you have a student athlete, please be aware that Georgia High School Association (GHSA) eligibility requirements for extracurricular activities can be affected by school transfers.


Deadline for Transfer Requests

If a parent or guardian wants to make a school choice/school transfer request, the parent or guardian should hand-deliver a completed Transfer Request Form to the Bulloch County Board of Education at 150 Williams Road in Statesboro during the annual school choice/school transfer window. 


Review Process & Lottery Drawings

School system administrators will review all school choice/school transfer requests, approve or deny them based on classroom availability, and notify the parents or guardians.


If a particular school has available space, but the number of school choice/school transfer requests exceeds the available capacity, the school system will conduct a lottery drawing for the spaces. Once available classroom space is reached at a school, no more requests will be accepted at that school. Parents/Guardians may want to indicate more than one choice on the form in case space is not available at first school.


Acceptance/Denial of Transfer Requests

The school system will begin notifying parents/guardians about the status of their transfer requests the week after the annual school choice/school transfer window ends.

Accepted Transfer Requests: If the request is accepted, school-level staff will contact parents/guardians.

Denied Transfer Requests: If the request is denied, the school district's central office will notify the parents/guardians in writing.


Available Seats for 2020-2021

A chart with the available spaces for each school and grade will be posted during the annual school choice/transfer window in May 4 - May 22 2020. 

School K* 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9-12
Elementary Schools
Middle Schools
High Schools
PMHS                   *Open
SEBHS                   *Open
SHS                   *Open

*Please note the following:

• Kindergarten transfers will not be allowed until after the first 10 days of school. Applications for Kindergarten openings will be accepted only during the HB 251 window.

• Portal High School, Statesboro High School and Southeast Bulloch High School will allow transfers.  Enrollment into certain courses (Pre-AP, AP, etc.) may not be accommodated due to the number of students already enrolled in those courses.  Please note that Georgia High School Association eligibility for extracurricular activities could be affected with any move between high schools.

Guidelines for School Choice/Transfer 

Parents/guardians of students may request a school choice/school transfer under the following situations:

  1. A parent/guardian is a full-time employee of Bulloch County Schools and is assigned to a specific school. Students who are the children of full-time employees of a specific school may attend that specific school and follow the feeder school pattern of that school for as long as that parent is a full-time employee at the specific school. Employees who are not assigned to a school, should place their children in the K-5 or 6-8 schools zoned for their personal residence. Employees who are not residents of Bulloch County may also place their child in a school within the district. 
  2. A parent/guardian changes residency during school year and wants his/her child to complete year at child's current school.
  3. A student requires academic services which are not available at the school where he/she is zoned to attend. 
  4. A student has a medical condition that creates a hardship, and student is best served at another school (Senate Bill 10) *
  5. A parent/guardian makes a request during the school system's annual Public School Choice/Transfers window in May. (House Bill 251/ SB 10)*

Parents/guardians may only apply for school choice/transfer through the Bulloch County Board of Education's Central Office during the annual window each May. For more information, call (912) 212-8500.

Key Contacts

School Choice (HB 251)

Margaret Brown Hill


Special Ed School Choice (SB10)

Leslie Schlierf, Executive Director
Special Education

Special Education School Choice & Transfer Requests (SB 10)

If you are the parent/guardian of a child that receives special education services, please refer to the school choice/transfer options under state law (SB 10) and the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship.