Welcome to Our Schools Open Records Requests Accredited School System Board of Education Speak Up for Education Events Departments & Department Contacts Bid Solicitations Bid Awards Employee Info. & Benefits Job Opportunities School Websites Strategic Planning Strategic Waiver School System Superintendent's Message
Register for School Back To School Toolkit Bus Routes & Transportation Calendars and Menus Student Drivers Graduation Ceremonies Parent/Teacher Conferences Family Engagement Parent Portal Online School Choice/Transfers School Communication School Zones Student Handbook & School Safety Protocols Student Records Summer Camps 2017
Academic & Support Services Academic Support Services Student Support Services Testing & Test Scores
Career Pathways Career Pathways Courses & Organizations Move On When Ready (Dual Enrollment) Pathways to Prosperity Advanced Placement REACH Georgia Scholarship Program
News & Data Bulloch County Schools Data Newsroom News Archive Annual Reports Community Engagement Georgia Climate Surveys Key Issues Forum Education SPLOST ESPLOST Committee Minutes Open Meetings Act Minority Recruitment Religious Liberties Discussion Research Request Protocol
Bulloch County Foundation for Public School Education Grant Application Grant Recipients Teacher Testimonials Turkey Trot 5K
Home Page Logo

School Choice/Transfers

Parents/guardians of students may request a transfer under the following situations:

  1. Students who are the children of full-time employees of a specific school may attend that school and follow the feeder school pattern as long as that parent is a full-time employee in that feeder pattern.
  2. Parents/guardians change residency during school year and wish for their child to complete the year at the current school.
  3. Students requiring academic services which are not available in the designated area school.
  4. Medical conditions that create hardship (Senate Bill 10)*
  5. Public School Choice/Transfers under House Bill 251*

Parents/guardians may apply for transfer through the Bulloch County Board of Education. For more information, call (912) 212-8500.

School Choice/Transfer (HB 251)*

In accordance with state law (O.C.G.A. § 20-2-2131), parents or guardians, who have a child enrolled in a public school, may request to transfer the child to another public school within their school district. Bulloch County Schools annually accepts school choice/transfer requests during the month of May.  Bulloch County Schools’ annual window for public school choice/transfers (HB 251) for the 2017-2018 school year was May 1 - May, 19. The window for school choice/transfers is now closed.  For future reference, please see the information below about how to request a transfer.


Parent Responsibilities

As a parent or guardian, you can request to have your child transferred to another public school within your school district of residence as long as the school district has determined that there is available classroom space at the school after all assigned students have been enrolled.  Please keep in mind that if you choose to transfer your child to another school in the district, the law requires you to assume all costs and responsibilities related to the transportation of your child to and from the school as long as your child remains at that school.


Available Classroom Space

For your convenience, the district’s list of schools with available classroom space for an upcoming school year is posted during the school choice/transfer window each year. It will also be advertised in the Statesboro Herald during the annual window. In order to process transfer requests, parents or guardians must complete and hand deliver a Transfer Request Form (available only during annual school choice/transfer window) to the Bulloch County Board of Education at 150 Williams Road in Statesboro.


Kindergarten Student Transfers

If a child is currently enrolled in a Bulloch County Schools pre-kindergarten classroom, parents/guardians do not need to register the child for kindergarten unless the child will be attending a different school than where he/she attended pre-k. Once a child is registered for kindergarten, the school system will not process transfer requests for Kindergarten openings until 10 class days after the first day of school.


High Schools Are Open Zones

Bulloch County Schools’ three high schools are open zoned, so any transfer requests for these schools are permissible during the annual School Choice/Transfer (HB 251) window. Enrollment into certain courses (Pre-Advance Placement, Advance Placement, etc.) may not be accommodated due to the number of students already enrolled in those courses. If you have a student athlete, please be aware that Georgia High School Association (GHSA) eligibility requirements for extracurricular activities can be affected by school transfers.


Deadline for Transfer Requests

Parents or guardians should hand-deliver a completed Transfer Request Form to the Bulloch County Board of Education at 150 Williams Road in Statesboro during the annual school choice/transfer window which occurs each May. The school system will not accept forms by facsimile, email, postal service or by hand delivery to a school office.  Hand deliver only to the Board of Education.


Review Process & Lottery Drawings

School system administrators will review all transfer requests, approve or deny them based on classroom availability, and notify the parents or guardians.


If a particular school has available space, but the number of transfer requests exceeds the available capacity, the school system will conduct a lottery drawing for the spaces. Once available classroom space is reached at a school, no more transfers will be accepted at that school. Parents/Guardians may want to indicate more than one choice on the form in case space is not available at first school.


Acceptance/Denial of Transfer Requests

The school system will begin notifying parents/guardians about the status of their transfer requests the week after the annual school choice/transfer window ends.

Accepted Transfer Requests: If the transfer request is accepted, school-level staff will contact parents/guardians.

Denied Transfer Requests: If the transfer request is denied, the school district's central office will notify the parents/guardians in writing.


Special Education Services Transfer Requests (SB 10)

If you are the parent/guardian of a child that receives special education services, please refer to this school choice and Georgia Special Needs Scholarship information